Find out about cemetery work permits and contractor responsibilities.
Permits are issued for:
- removing or erecting an upright headstone
- removing or placing a memorial plaque
- reinstating a grave floor
- pressure washing
- any significant repair work to memorials or headstones
- additional subscriptions
Usually the contractor will apply for the permit on your behalf. Permit applications are processed within 8 business hours.
Permits help cemetery staff manage cemetery records, reduce vandalism and preserve consistent standards.
Permit to work in cemetery application form (45KB PDF)
The contractor is required to carry a copy of the permit at all times in the cemetery and also to:
- Complete a Cemetery Safety Control Form, acknowledging any potential work hazards before starting work.
- Complete the Contractor Work Control section of the permit, before and after work is completed.
- Complete and submit the Declaration by the Nominated Contractor section of the permit after work has been completed.
Contact the Karori Cemetery office for a Cemetery Safety Control Form.